Welcome!
Look around, leave a comment, dont be a stranger!
Tuesday, 31 May 2011
Illustration corner from BibliOdyssey
This week's image in Illustration Corner is a beautiful lithograph: 'Hooded falcon close up' from 'Traité de Fauconnerie' by H Schlegel and AH Verster de Wulverhorst, courtesy of one of my favourite blogs, BibliOdyssey. I think I've mentioned it before, but this post on falconry is gorgeous and I love the way the curator combines images with text and book-lore. I also have a weakness for natural history type-paintings -see Audubon for more lovely birds which may pop up in Illustration Corner in the future! The picture to the left is in the same book. And the one below is by Audubon. In any case its worth mentioning BibliOdyssey as a rich source of book illustrations/fount of obscure knowledge again!
Labels:
illustration corner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I would just like to apologise for the amount of times I spelled Odyssey wrong in my original post in case anyone saw it and was offended by my inconsistency:)
ReplyDeleteNow, I like these. I have a facination with hawks and birds of prey. On the N9 there is a spot where a peregrine falcon can be seen hunting. It often sits on top of a fence post gazing out over the motor way. I always watch out for it when I drive by. Further down the motorway on the N7 a Kestrel hovers above the motor way near an overpass. It must be that small birds are more obvious against the backdrop of the roadway. And less able to hide. But it offers a great view of rare birds. When I was on the continent last year I noticed the same phenomenon. Larger birds of prey, probably Goshawks, could be seen sitting on roadside fencing. I always count it to be a good day when I see one. Then there are urban foxes....
ReplyDeletevery offensive indeed!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I'd love to see some - I haven't been on the motorway since I got my test but perhaps its time! (Cue me crashing cos I'm bird-watching instead of road -watching). Maybe roadkill for dinner is just easier than proper hunting (eeeuggh!)
ReplyDelete